2019 Challenge for Charities participating nonprofits
To download the 2019 C4C Application for local nonprofits, click here.
To download the 2019 C4C Rules Packet, click here.
Donations may be made between May 1st and July 10th and will be matched by the LCF Matching Pool Fund. The Match percentage will be determined after July 10th for final check presentation in August at a location to be determined.
Promote community enhancement through support of local nonprofits
Make philanthropy part of the fabric of our community
Maximize donations through incentivized fundraiser
Publicize local nonprofits' work
Decrease overall fundraising cost to nonprofits
To be eligible to participate in the Challenge for Charities, organizations must provide programs or services to Lander area residents.
Organization must also be one of the following:
• Public nonprofit organization with an IRS 501(c)(3) determination. A copy of the IRS determination letter must be submitted with the Nonprofit Application.
• Fiscally sponsored nonprofit. An organization or group that is not a 501(c)(3) may be fiscally sponsored by a qualifying organization. Written approval from the sponsoring organization must be submitted with the Nonprofit Application.
• Faith-based organization. All funds raised—both donations and match—must be used entirely for non-religious public outreach programming such as emergency assistance, youth outreach, public health programs or cultural programs. Funds cannot be used for any part of a physical building.
• Service club. All funds raised—both donations and match—must be used for charitable purposes such as public outreach in the form of emergency assistance, youth outreach, scholarships, public health programs or cultural programs. Funds cannot be used for any part of a physical building.
• Government entity. A town or county resolution authorizing participation in the event must be submitted with the Nonprofit Application.
• Public school program. Each program must have participation approval by the school board submitted with the Nonprofit Application. Each program must submit a separate Nonprofit Application. School programs are eligible for a single matching grant of up to $10,000 given to the school programs as a whole. Funds cannot be used for any part of a physical building.
• Related entities must complete a separate Nonprofit Application. Related entities are eligible for a single matching grant of up to $10,000 given to the related entities as a whole. Funds cannot be used for any part of a physical building.
Organization’s participation in the Challenge for Charities is contingent upon the following requirements:
1. Email submission of a completed Nonprofit Application by Friday, March 29, 2019 for inclusion in printed marketing material.
2. Review and acceptance by the Foundation. Notification is emailed to the organization’s primary contact. Allow at least two weeks following submission of the application to receive a formal acceptance.
3. An active email account for the organization’s contact person.
4. Commitment of 15-18 volunteer hours toward the event organization.
5. Compliance with all event Rules and Procedures.
6. Completed prior year grant report is required for all organizations that received funds in the 2018 Challenge for Charities. Failure to complete a report will jeopardize ability to participate in subsequent Challenge for Charities events. The grant report form is within the 2019 Nonprofit Application.
• Checks: Must be made out to the Lander Community Foundation, accompanied by a donation form completed by the donor, and mailed to P.O. Box 1131, Lander, WY 82520.
• Cash: Although the Foundation discourages cash donations, specific arrangements can be made the Foundation by calling 307-438-9247 or by emailing email@example.com.
• Credit Card: Online credit card donations are accepted through the Lander Community Foundation’s secure online donation system at www.landercommunityfoundation.org .
• Gifts of Stock: Donors wishing to donate stock gifts must contact the Foundation at 307-438-9247 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org prior to transferring stock.
• Corporate Matching Gift Programs: Matching portions must be received by July 10, 2018 to be eligible for the matching grant.
• Event Proceeds: Funds raised through raffles, collections, drawings, auctions, dinners or other events and event sponsorships are NOT eligible.
• Fees for services or tangible goods: Donors cannot receive any tangible item for their donations such as thank you gift or other non tax-deductible fee
• Membership Dues
• Grant awards
• Donations from a participating nonprofit to another participating nonprofit
• Pledge Payments: donations in fulfillment of an existing pledge agreement to an organization
• Gifts made outside of the event donation timeline: May 1 – July 10, 2019
Matching Grant Structure
• Organizations receive 100% of all donations specifically designated to their organization.
• Organizations receive a matching grant up to the first $10,000 raised.
• Donations in excess of $10,000 to any single nonprofit will be passed directly back to that designated nonprofit.
• Related entities are eligible for a combined matching grant, up to $10,000 raised as a whole.
• The match percentage, will be awarded at the awards celebration in late August 2019, depending on the ratio of the total amount raised from the Foundation’s Community Challengers relative to the designated funds received by each of the participating organizations. The Foundation has targeted the matching fund to approximate 30-50% or $.30 - $.50 on every dollar raised! The match in 2014 was 64%. In 2016, it was 33% and 2017’s match was 50%.
Use of Matching Funds
Matching funds are restricted to the guidelines in the Rules and Procedures, for current use and may not be placed in an endowment account, and cannot be given to another participating organization.
Challenge for Charities or Foundation Logo Use
The Challenge for Charities’ or LCF logo may be used in black and white or color. If used in color, the original colors must be preserved; no color substitutions are allowed. The logo may not be altered in any fashion, and must always appear upright. The logos are available here.
1. A nonprofit organization wishing to participate in the Challenge for Charities should attend the organization meeting Thursday, March 14, 2019, 5:30 PM, Lander Library, 2nd floor.
2. All organizations are to operate within the spirit of the Challenge for Charities and to function ethically and honestly with mutual respect in order to promote community harmony.
3. Faith-based organizations and service clubs may use donations and matching funds raised in Challenge for Charities only for non-religious, public outreach programming. Funds cannot be used for any part of a physical building.
4. Matching funds are restricted for current use and may not be placed in an endowment account. Matching funds cannot be given to another participating organization.
5. No event entry fees, event sponsorships, organizational or membership fees, tuitions, existing pledges, or other non tax-deductible expenses may be channeled through the Challenge for Charities.
6. Matching funds may not be used for religious activities, political activity or campaigns, tickets or benefits, or lobbying.
7. Organizations participating in the Challenge for Charities must commit 20 volunteer hours toward organization of the event.
8. The Foundation will provide participating organizations with promotional materials and donor forms to be used for soliciting donations.
1. All contributions received as part of the Challenge for Charities are subject to the variance power of the Lander Community Foundation. Variance power: The Lander Community Foundation Board of Directors shall have the power to modify or eliminate any restriction, condition, limitation or trust imposed with respect to any funds or property the title to which has become vested in the Foundation if, in the sole judgment of the Board of Directors, such restriction, condition, limitation or trust becomes unnecessary, incapable of fulfillment or inconsistent with the charitable needs of the community or area served.
2. Accepted organizations must not provide a tax receipt for donations made through the Challenge for Charities, because all donations are made to the Lander Community Foundation. The Foundation has the fiduciary responsibility to provide tax receipts to donors. Organizations are encouraged to acknowledge contributions made on their behalf with thank-you acknowledgement letters.
3. Organizations must not provide any goods or services in exchange for donations made through the Challenge for Charities.
4. Organizations must not collect contributions to be pooled and delivered or mailed to the Lander Community Foundation. Donors must mail donations directly to the Lander Community Foundation.
5. Only original donor forms and/or entry forms are allowed. Organizations must not, in any way, reproduce entry forms or donor forms in solicitation letters, newsletters, etc.
6. Door-to-door solicitations, as well as “cold-calling” telephone solicitations, are prohibited.
7. Selling products, goods or services at the Challenge for Charities is prohibited.
8. To establish a connection with the event, nonprofits are encouraged to use the Challenge for Charities logos and the Platinum sponsor logos in their advertising.
9. Participation does not guarantee that organizations will receive funds from the event. Organizations will receive 100% of funds donated on their behalf, plus the matching grant based on the match percentage.
10. The match percentage will be announced and final award checks distributed in late August.
This event depends on strong volunteer participation!
Each participating nonprofit must commit 15-18 volunteer hours.
Be creative with finding volunteers! Friends, family, neighbors, people who use your services…
The Volunteer Coordinator will provide web page with dates/times/directions for sign-ups.
Friday, March 29 Nonprofit Application deadline to be included in Challenge for Charities printed marketing materials.
Friday, March 29 Grant report for all organizations that received funds from the prior year’s Challenge for Charities must be submitted with the application.
Late April Event brochures available
May 1 – July 10 Donations accepted to the Lander Community Foundation online secure donation service at www.landercommunityfoundation.org or mailed to P.O. Box 1131, Lander, WY 82520
June 4 Final deadline for organizational participation in the Challenge for Charities. Nonprofits applying past June 4 will not be included in printed marketing materials.
July 3 Race packet pick up at Wild Iris Mountain Sports
July 4 - RACE DAY!
Late August - AWARDS CELEBRATION!